Specialist Studio Practice 3 – Collaboration with MUA’s

20th April 2016

I undertook another collaborative shoot with the MUA’s at Bradford College. This was again arranged between my tutor and their tutor, however communications after that were between the photographers and MUA’s. Thalia and a friend of hers on the course (Natascha – bridal model) from the previous MUA shoot also requested me again to photograph their newest looks towards their deadlines. Natascha had a 1920’s female look she wanted to photograph, and the model was the LPN Co-ordinator from the Alhambra Theatre in Bradford. I photographed her with 2 different lighting set ups and used a white background with the Octabox and a soft box to light the hair from the back. I then photographed using a black background with a beauty dish central above the model and a white card reflector under the models chin to achieve the aesthetic she was after. The model requested I also send her some of the images as she was needing a professional head shot to put on social media e.g LinkedIn for her professional role. I edited the images in black and white and sepia as requested by Natascha to go in with the 1920’s era. Both were extremely happy with the images.

While I was waiting for Thalia to finish doing her make up I also photographed a 60’s inspired look for another of the students as they were creating looks of all the different era’s. I used the white background but only used the Octabox to light the model, to achieve a high-fashion editorial look that would suit the styling. The MUA (Lauren) was overjoyed with the shots and how professional I was she said ‘I’m so happy I could actually cry!”.

Thalia and I had liaised via email and Facebook about the inspiration for her look in particular which was inspired wholly by the film Lawless. She had some images she wanted to recreate specifically so I mocked up the lighting similar to how the image was that she showed me (light coming from above to create shadows but slightly to the right to still see the detail, then added a white reflector card to the left of the model to bounce back into the shadows). She had a few different props she wanted to use so we got plenty of variants on the look to show the make up too.

Again, I learnt from my mistakes and sent all of the unedited images to the MUA’s and asked which specific shots they would like editing – which saved me hours and hours having to edit all of the images. It also meant I could focus in more on getting each image perfect for the MUA’s portfolio. Each MUA was so impressed with my work they couldn’t help but credit me on social media – as I also gave them watermarked final images as well as ones without watermarks for their portfolio.

Over all this shoot was a great success and it helped me expand my own knowledge in communication, working as a team and editing to a high standard in Photoshop.

Advertisements
Tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: